TREKK Cuesta del Obispo
A unique journey to fully enjoy one of the roughest sections of the Argentine Northwest. An unforgettable journey where enjoying nature with "the five senses". This is a different option where nature interpretation, multiple photo stops, visits to archaeological sites and observation of flora and fauna is made.
It is a trek through one of the most beautiful landscapes in the region with magnificent views of the Cuesta del Obispo and "Los Cardones" National Park.
A day of adventure begins
This trip departs from the city of Salta to the south, passing through the town of Cerrillos, El Carril and then turn west towards Chicoana, through the jungle environment of the Yungas and after a few kilometers of ascent, is enters the Quebrada de Escoipe, where cactus, cacti, carob trees and a landscape of red rocks and crops are multicolored.
An experience with a local bus line
After about 2 hours of transfer, the vehicle is left in a place named Margarita and the group take a local bus line, which is used by locals to move around different places and tourists traveling independently to Cachi. This bus will take the group about 20 kilometers up to the entrance to the National Park and from where the trek begins.
- Departure Time: Every day at 7:00 am. (pickup at you place)
- Duration: Full Day. 11 hours approx. (Transfer + trekk)
- Walking Time: Between 4 and 6 hours (The duration varies according to group level).
- Walking distance: 17,4 km. aprox.
- Positive Elevation gain: +632 meters.
- Negative elevation: -1590 meters.
- Difficulty: Moderate / Hard, people can participate, with good physically fit and technical skill to walk in narrow trails.
- Region: Cuesta del Obispo / Quebrada de Escoipe / Cordillera Oriental o Precordillera.
- Include: Transfers, Trekking Sticks, Snacks, Lunch (picnic), bilingual guide, Insurance.
- Price: See the Tours Price List
What to Bring. Mandatory Equipment
- Trekking shoes with socks (with good tread, may not be smooth soles);
- Long trousers (preferably demountable);
- 1 warm jacket (even in summer);
- Backpack 30 lts minimum must contain: 2 liters of water, 1 windbreak, insect repellent for summer days, sunscreen;
- Hat and sunglasses;
A review that a passenger left on Trip Advisor
“Cuesta del Obispo - in the footsteps of the Incas!”
Feeling active and in need of a bit of adventure on a recent trip to Salta, two friends and I booked a day trek in the Cuesta del Obispo. It was a long day but very manageable provided you have a reasonable level of fitness. I speak for all of us when I say that the trek far exceeded our hopes and expectations on every level and it remains one of our favourite experiences from our holiday.
Our guides, Nacho and Seba, were really professional, but fun and interesting too; telling us stories of the area in which we were walking, showing us incredible cave art, sharing our excitement to be doing the trek in the snow and even producing very welcome flasks of hot coffee to sip whilst we stopped to marvel at the scenery.
And what scenery it was! Around every corner, over every horizon, our eyes were treated to a breathtaking array of mountains, peaks, valleys, gullies, as we retraced the footsteps of the Incas. Looking out from a cliff at a sea of white clouds below me, and rock faces jutting up out of them, with a blue sky surrounding me in all directions whilst all around me was absolute stillness and silence will remain a highlight for a long time!
If you have the time I would highly recommend this trek, it was a treat on so many levels.